Saturday, June 17, 2017

Edmodo

Introduction

When I started teaching I was first taught how to use Edmodo as a course management device.  I have however, changed what I use for my CMS.  For this weeks design I decided to compare Edmodo with Google Classroom.

Edmodo

This CMS has come a long way since I used it several years ago. When I first used Edmodo it was nothing more than a social media page for educators to try and get students more engaged in the classroom. Now it is more of a CMS system like Blackboard or Google Classroom. The best part of the CMS system is that it is very user friendly, as long as your on the computer. When I tried to use the app to look at what they have changed with this CMS, the app kept crashing. I think this is the number one aspect that you need to look for when deciding what systems to use in your classroom. If your students are having a hard time accessing it to do their assignments, it means more work for you to ensure their success.


However, even though there are still some problems with Edmodo you can still use it to send work to the students, and then have them resubmit it back to you. An improvement to the system is that when you attach an assignment to complete each student gets their own individual assignment. In the past you sent one assignment to all students who had to then download and resubmit, the way it is described now this is not the case. So it does make organization and submitting assignment easier. Another good feature of Edmodo is the fact that you can create quizzes, that are self grading. The only thing that it doesn't grade is short answer questions, you as the instructor will have to grade those. 


The one short coming that I think this application does not allow much of is the allowance to have a discussion board. It seems that if you want to have a discussion board you will have to go to an outside system and post the link to Edmodo.

Google Classroom

Recently, I have been using Google Classroom as my Course Management System. At first I was not sold on its true merits and there is a part of me that still believes their can been improvements or something better to work with.  However, I do believe their are more benefits to Google Classroom than there are on Edmodo.

Just like Edmodo, each students gets a copy of the assignments that you put on to Edmodo.  It works well with google programs, because it is a google product.  What is really good about this product is that if you want the students to click through a PowerPoint, you can do this without having to turn it into a PDF file.  If you use Google slides students can click through the PowerPoint, and what is good about this is you can set it to where they can only view the slide.  If you want to add videos, it allows you to import from YouTube.  While Edmodo does this you have to turn it into a PDF and then you have to upload the video link separate.  Google Classroom allows you to put it as one assignment, for which their can be multiple activities or information in one assignment.

One feature that is similar to that of Edmodo is that you can have open communication with students, in which all students can see questions students ask or announcements that you may put on the home page.  This is a good thing to have so that all students, see questions that students might have.  One thing that Google Classroom has over Edmodo, is the ability to block certain students from comments.  I had a student this last year, who would post random comments that had nothing to do with school related business.  I asked him about this and he said he thought it was like social media, I warned him he would loose communication privileges.  He did it again, and Google Classroom allowed me to mute his comments and delete his comments.  So it allows you to keep all comments educational.  This application within Google Classroom, would allow for something else that Edmodo does not do a decedent  job at and that is facilitate a class discussion.

The last feature that I am going to discuss that is better than Edmodo is the categories application in Google Classroom.  This part Edmodo doesn't do so if you want to find something you have scroll through all the posts to find it.  In Google Classroom, all students or you have to do is click on the categories you have already set up and click and any post that you set up to go with that category will appear.  This allows for easier access to assignments, quizzes, or other activities that you wish your students to work on.

Conclusion

Ultimately the pedagogy behind Google Classrom over Edmodo as a CMS program.  Is that Google Classroom allows for more student centered learning.  In Google Classroom not only can they have class discussion, for which some students might not talk actively in class with other students but only they will.  Google Classroom also allows for students to collaborate through Google Drive & Google Hangout.  Allowing them to turn in assignments together, instead of separately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment